Monday, January 30, 2012

Yu Sheng


I love yusheng....besides the fact that it is a dish with lots of vegetables and salmon, which I normally use smoked salmon, the colours just it so appealing. Well I know about food colouring in them...but who cares....: ) Another thing I like about yusheng is its exquisite taste. It is a mixture of sweet and sour with a fragrant of lime leaves... (limau Pulot), all jumble up... what a delectable palate.

Armed with some knowledge from the food bloggers, I made a trip to Kwong Xiang Thai, a haven for all ingredients needed for chinese cuisine, With the help of the shop assistants there, I bought all the ingredients, sauces and condiments needed for yusheng. What I only prepared was shredded vegetables consisting of carrots, white & green radish. I also prepare the prepare peanut and sesame crumbs. Well these are such a chore having to be very careful not to shred the skin of my fingers into them ha ha....

According to the belief:

Carrots are added indicating blessings of good luck. 鸿运当头 Hong Yun Dang Tou meaning “Good luck is approaching”. Carrot (红萝卜) is used as the first character 鸿 also sound like the Chinese character for red.

Shredded green radish is placed symbolising eternal youth. 青春常驻 Qing Chun Chang Zhu meaning “Forever young”. Green radish is used as the first character 青 also sound like the Chinese character for green.

Shredded white radish is added - prosperity in business and promotion at work. 风生水起 Feng Sheng Shui Qi meaning “Progress at a fast pace” 步步高升 Bu Bu Gao Sheng meaning “Reaching higher level with each step”

Wishing all the best of fortune, health, prosperity and wealth.

No comments: